Dr Sandeep B Patil is consultant Epileptologist and Pediatric Neurologist who is trained in Australia serving in Pune city since 2015. Dr Sandeep has completed his MBBS from B.J Medical College and Sassoon General Hospital Pune. He then completed his MD in Pediatrics from same institute in 2009.
As post graduate completed ICMR research study on Neurodegenerative disorder. He then continued to pursue his interest in Pediatric Neurology at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi one of the premier institute in India by doing two years fellowship program. During this tenure his work in “Febrile infection related epileptic Encephalopathy known as FIRES” got acclaimed at National and international levels. This study is recently published in this year’s Annals of Indian Neurology in March- May Volume.
Dr. Sandeep was selected for pediatric Neurology Fellowship at Mater and Royal Children Hospital Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. He worked with Dr Riney and Dr Malone few of the leading names in Pediatric Neurology and worked primarily for refractory epilepsy patient where he worked up them for epilepsy surgery. Also learned alternative advance treatment for epileptic patient such as Ketogenic Diet and Vagus Nerve Stimulation. Had privilege to work at Royal Children’s Hospital Melbourne with forerunner Pediatric Epileptologist Dr Simon Harvey.
After completion his Australia sojourn he returned in India for betterment of his countrymen. His key areas of interest is epilepsy surgery and Ketogenic Diet.
Qualifications Obtained (Primary & Postgraduate):
- Fellow in Paediatric Neurology and Epilepsy – Mater Children Hospital / Royal Children Hospital Brisbane (Australia)
- Fellow in Paediatric Neurology – Amrita Institute Of Medical Sciences Kochi (India)
- MBBS – Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College Pune (India)
- MD- Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Medical College Pune (India)
- Paediatric Neurology- Managing children with neurological complaints ranging from headache, developmental delay, autism, Cerebral palsy, epilepsy ,movement disorder and stroke
- Paediatric Epilepsy – Managing and working up children’s with complex epilepsy; investigating them for its cause and managing them with appropriate treatment modalities.
- EEG / Long Term EEG reading and reporting
- Invasive EEG- Subdural implantation / Electrocorticogrpahy (ECoG)
- Interpretation of MRI (3 T / 1.5 T) and Nuclear Medicine scans such as PET / SPECT/ fMRI scans
- Co-Registration of MRI and PET data.
- NCV and EMG
- Interpreting and reporting other Neurophysiology studies such as VEP,BAEP,SSEP
- Muscle Biopsy and skin Biopsies for children with Neuromuscular or neurometabolic disorders
- Source analysis using cori software and ictal BOLD analysis
- “A Clinical study of patients with neurodegenerative disorders.’’ for M.D. Paediatrics examination conducted by Maharashtra University of Health Sciences, Nashik in May 2009.
- “Clinical profile and treatment outcome in febrile infection–related epilepsy syndrome (FIRES), a catastrophic epileptic encephalopathy in children.” for fellowship in paediatric neurology from August 2011 to August 2012.
- “Clinical profile and treatment outcome in patients with eosinophilic meningitis.” a retrospective study during the course of pediatric neurology fellowship.
- Patil S, Gambhir P, Khadase S. A Clinical profile of patients with Sphingolipidoses. (Published in western journal of India).
- Patil S, Deshpande A, Kinikar A. Interesting Case of Hemolyticanemia. (Published in western journal of India).
Competitions participated in:
- Certificate of Merit Awarded for Second Prize in Nephrology Quiz in 2008 at Armed Forces Medical Collage.
- Best Resident Award in 2008-09 in Pediatrics.
- Certificate of Merit awarded for paper presentations in 35th Annual Conference of Research Society Pune.
- Certificate of participation in NNF Postgraduate Quiz in Neonatology, at AFMC, Pune.
- Divisional round appearance – annual neonatology quiz competition of IAP- NNF 2008.
Awards and accolades:
- Best paper prize in VII Neuropedicon 2008 National conference for “NEURONOPATHIC GAUCHER DISEASE”.
- Best poster in National Epilepsy Conference ECON 2012 for “Clinical profile and treatment outcome in febrile infection–related epilepsy syndrome (FIRES), a catastrophic epileptic encephalopathy in children.”/li>
- Second prize in Neurpedicon 2012 for “Clinical profile and treatment outcome in patients with eosinophilic meningitis.”